We are 7 days out from Ragnar Chicago and it was a rough day in TTF land, luckily I had the day off from actual “work”. The day started well when I went to the pool and swallowed a ton of TRI Smart Water. Wow, they swim fast
compared to me. Wow, they kick up a lot of water in the pool. Wow, they pull a good current when you are surrounded by 4 of them. Wow, I suck at swimming. Wow, I’ve never seen the pool so busy.
After the swim, I only had time to squeeze in a 27 mile ride on the trainer before hitting the chiro. Today she tried acupuncture since my body doesn’t respond like a “normal” person. Being special isn’t so great in a situation like this. I’m gonna post this “needles in the foot” pic again
for my mom those of you who don’t have facebook or follow me on twitter.
After the needle fun at the chiro, I went directly to the foot surgeon for a more needle action in the form of a cortisone shot. He infused the cortisone with an anesthetic in order to numb the foot out for a week or so. Let’s cross our fingers! Ragnar here I come…..Dear Foot: Please comply!
In developing a list of 7 things I “need” that are possibly not going to be in every runner’s bag, I started with the important stuff:
- Ice bag. I have a gel ice bag that I’m planning to beg my teammates to stuff in the cooler. I need it.
- Motrin. I need it.
- Merrill Encore Ice slip-on shoe. Although this is probably the ugliest shoe I have ever purchased, I’m glad to have it. I bought it off the clearance rack at REI and it holds my plantar fascia up and keeps my feet feeling “ok”. I need them. But they are ugly. I’m considering getting a sandal just like this too. 🙂
- Toothbrush. I know we won’t be having a lot of time to shower but I’m hoping to be able to at least brush my teeth.
- Tortilla-Peanut Butter- Dill Pickle wraps. I know this sounds disgusting but I actually like peanut butter and pickles together and I think this will work well for me food wise and I’ll be able to avoid the soggy bread issue.
- Rehydrate Energy Gel – This is a new product which totally rocks. It is easy on my tummy and has an excellent lemon taste. I still can’t get over how awesome this stuff is and am looking forward to our long term relationship.
- A freakin’ AWESOME attitude. I think this is probably the most important “item” on the list. We are going to be tired, cranky and the worst thing we can do is take it out on each other or somebody else. In order to have a good time, each person is responsible for bringing a good attitude. Ever heard the saying, “if you aren’t having fun, it’s your own fault”? So let’s bring it, rock this thing and have some fun!!
What would you take on your relay run adventure?
** Happy Relaying ** Amanda – TooTallFritz ** firstname.lastname@example.org
TTF…do your best with what issues you confront. I know you will perform as best you can do. Do you have German in your genes? LOL! Ya…Cortisone will help you get through Ragnar…but you ignoring me on doing that Plasma Rich Platelet injection. Why? The research says far better than Cortisone. But Cortisone amenable in the short-term just to get through.
Seems like a count-down here…7…..hmmmn…..next post 6? LOL Keep your spirits up…you can do this and do it fine as TTF envisions! You did the training…now the simple part of the equation is to just do it!
Im doing the Chicago Ragnar as well! I love your packing list! I’m working on mine now but the positive attitude will definitely on the list! Yay! So excited!!
Some things I tried when my plantar was bothering me. Good chiropractor fixed my problems. Hope these help!
Great for when you want to go barefoot – http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Arch-Sleeves-10085.aspx
Just got these and they have great arch support. Cute too! – http://www.footsmart.com/P-Orthaheel-Womens-Talia-Thong-Sandals-77685.aspx
Hands down these are the best! – http://www.footsmart.com/P-Chaco-Womens-Z-2-Vibram-Unaweep-Sandals-81194.aspx
Good luck with your race! Can’t wait to read your race report! Happy miles!
Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated.