A new era begins for endurance athletes at Walt Disney World in January 2014. The ever popular Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend just got a little bit bigger and a little bit crazier. In the past Disney has offered many events throughout the weekend to create a family friendly environment that encourages family fun thru movement, while also trying to cater to the
crazy serious endurance athletes with longer and more grueling events. Starting in 2006 they gave athletes the opportunity to test their limits with the Goofy’s Race and Half Challenge. This “race” required participants to run the half marathon on Saturday, then turn around and run the full marathon on Sunday. Goofy, right? Absolutely! However, I have friends who are “perfectly Goofy” having ran the Goofy Challenge every year since its inception.
For 2014, they upped the ante and are offering for the very first time, the Dopey Challenge. Sir Dopey is a series of 4 events over the same amount of days. 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and FULL Marathon.
From the runDisney website:
Run 48.6 miles of fun in the Dopey Challenge!
Are you ready for the ultimate endurance challenge? Then take part in four days of fun for a total of 48.6 miles in the all-new Dopey Challenge! Participants will run the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon, and if you complete all four races within the pacing requirements you will be awarded the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge medal and the brand new Dopey Challenge finisher medal for a total of six pieces of “bling.”
The Dopey Challenge will feature:
- Four courses through Walt Disney World® Theme Parks totaling 48.6 miles
- Disney Characters and Entertainment on-course
- Event Weekend Transportation for Walt Disney World® Resort Guests
- Family Reunion Area with entertainment and characters
- Indulge and unwind at the Downtown Disney® After Party (Sunday evening)
Race participants in the Dopey Challenge will receive:
- Champion® Women’s or Men’s cut*Long-Sleeved Tech Shirts for the Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge & Dopey Challenge, and 5K cotton Unisex T-Shirt*
- Special Dopey finisher medal, along with the commemorative medals for the Marathon, Half Marathon & Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge, 10K finisher medal and the 5K finisher medallion*
- Official Race Program Guide*
- Personalized bib (Must register by November 1, 2013 for name to appear on bib)*
- On-course and post-race refreshments
- ChronoTrack B-tag timed race
- Personalized results website
So the real question is, are YOU Goofy or just plain ole Dopey? Apparently, I must be Dopey! This will be my first Disney race ever and I generally live by the “go big or go home” philosophy anyhow so I’ll be registering for Sir Dopey on April 9th when it opens. I won’t be “racing” the series but enduring. The plan is to run the miles, all 48.6 of them, and endure. No more, no less.
** Go Big OR Go Home ** Amanda – TooTallFritz **