Last year, I had an amazing time at the Venus de Miles event despite some pretty major bike issues. Feel free to read about the entire
debacle day HERE, where had it not been for SAG support and on course support/riders who helped me, I wouldn’t have finished. I have nothing but thanks and praise for all the people who provided assistance during the 2012 ride! Therefore, when I was invited to be an ambassador for the 2013 ride, I accepted without hesitation.
The 2013 Venus de Miles event for Illinois will take place on July 28, 2013. It will cruise thru Lake Forest and surrounding burbs, forest preserves and local bike paths. The ride offers two options, a 25 mile and 61 mile route. The participants will range from hard core “biker babes” to casual riders. I can attest to this because I was toward the front when we left Lake Forest until mile 30 when I was out, roadside with tire puncture issues. After lengthy repairs I returned to the course and was all the way at the very back with the sweepers. Riding with the sweepers was a great experience, they were strong riders and would hold up at every rest stop for a lengthy amount time to allow the ladies bringing up the rear to enjoy a leisurely ride as long as they were capable.
Me riding into the finish area after a LONG
ass day ride. I was thrilled to be done!
Venus de Miles was a great ride but I think the after party took the event to a level like no other offered in the biking community. The ride was for women, designed by women and the after party definitely focused providing a top of the line experience with gourmet food and feminine fun! This is the info from the website since it would be impossible to do it justice otherwise:
Post Ride Festival
The fun doesn’t stop when you cross the finish line. Invite your family and friends who couldn’t join in the ride and put your post-ride endorphin high to good use at our celebration at Lake Forest College.
- blissful hOMe will be providing complimentary yoga sessions at the start of the ride. Session 1 will run from 6:10 – 6:30 am. Session 2-from 6:35 to 6:55 am. Session 3 from 7:05 to 7:25am. Session 4 from 7:30 to 7:50 am.
- Enjoy complimentary spa services provided by Tricoci Beauty University, including mini-facials, manicures and pedicures
- Enjoy complimentary massage services provided by NuVie Skin and Wellness
- Test Trek Women bikes
- Explore a vendor’s expo with unique gear and treats
- Beer provided by Goose Island
- Cocktails provided by North Shore Distillery
- Meet several of the Greenhouse Scholars you are supporting
- Enjoy gourmet ice cream, provided by Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
The ride also has a charity component supporting Greenhouse Scholars, “an organization dedicated to helping high-performing, under-resourced students reach their full potential by providing scholarships to attend college and other resources to help them become community leaders.”
So save the date, July 28th, Lake Forest, IL and plan to join me and the other ambassadors to make the 2013 ride the best one yet!
Free race entry “may” follow, so keep an eye out!
** Ride like a Venus ** Amanda – TooTallFritz **