We are fortunate that Chicagoland is BURSTING with half marathon pride. It’s the perfect race distance for so many and as result Chicago has really embraced the distance and offers road racers a variety of events at that distance. One of my favorite races is the “13.1 Chicago”. This year Michelob Ultra is the key sponsor and the official name is the Michelob Ultra Chicago 13.1. I ran last when it was the Allstate Life Insurance 13.1 Chicago (race report HERE). Before the big name sponsors, it was simply 13.1 Chicago and well, that’s how I’ll always think of it!
This year 13.1 Chicago is on June 7th. Once again it occurs on the same weekend as the Madison to Chicago Ragnar Relays. Since I’m spearheading an all ladies ultra team for Ragnar Chicago, I will unfortunately not be able to run the 13.1 event in 2014. However, if my calendar permitted I would be there and I hope to see lots of pics of all of you enjoying this amazing event!
What does 13.1 Chicago have to offer that puts it heads above the other Chicago half marathons?
- Unique Southside location, starting at the South Shore Cultural Center
where Mr. & Ms. Obama were married, running thru the beautiful trails in Jackson Park, and covering sections of the lakefront trail that most of us never run.
- Beautiful views of the city of Chicago while you are running north on the course.
- Amazing backdrop for photos when you run back south toward the finish line. Photo below courtesy of Xaarlin (Pain is Nothing).
- Sophisticated starting corral system which seeds participants well and allows for space on the course to run YOUR race.
- Low traffic on run course, even when running the Lakefront path.
- Shade on the run course.
- Out and back race where you can see your friends come and go for the majority of the race. This is definitely one of my favorite things about this run. I saw each and every one of my run buds, the fast ones and the ones behind me too!
- After race BEACH PARTY!
- FREE beer & pizza at the finish!
- Free shuttle from the city to the South Shore Center.
- Free parking in the surrounding neighborhoods IF you have to drive.
- Team Challenge charity race which supports the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America.
This is a great race, certainly my favorite of this distance in the city of Chicago. They also offer a 5K if you (or a friend) is not up to the half distance. Take your friends to this race because you are going to want to stay and enjoy the after party!
NOW, did you want to win a FREE ENTRY to the 2014 Michelob Ultra Chicago 13.1? If so, please make a comment below and tell me your all time favorite half marathon (so far), it doesn’t have to be a Chicago event. For a second entry, like the TooTallFritz Facebook page. For a third entry, like the 13.1 Marathon series Facebook page. Let me know which of the above you did so that I can assign your entries correctly!
Giveaway starts now and runs until Wednesday (March 26, 2014) at 9am when a winner will be selected via a random number generator. Good luck, all!
** Happy Running ** Amanda – TooTallFritz **